Golden Moments

Life, experiences, challenges, insights, reflections, lessons, truth and wisdom.

Thursday, March 30, 2006

Monkey-see Monkey-do

I know i do not hold a masters degree in English ...and I do not think i am proficient in this language....but seeing this advertisement being flashed almost every time i switch on the TV, just couldnt ignore the dumbness certain people exhibit who claim english to be their mother tongue!
"ZERO % FINANCING"
"zero percent financing' is grammatically and syntactically correct. But it's a dumb and awkward way to convey a simple message. When I first saw this Advertisement I was really amazed ...coz the full ad went something like this "zero percent finance guaranteed on all cars including the latest models". Just when i was thinking someone would definitely correct it...in followed another advertisemnt "zero percent financing" ...this time on furnitures and carpets!

Well this got me thinking on the numerous monkey- see- monkey- do mentality at work...it does make an interesting topic though. To quote some:-

input output - These two words are perfectly good nouns, but the idiot idiom wants to use them as verbs. It was only geeks who'd write, "Input the data using the keyboard. Output it to the disk." Today this is used universally - as in, "The input is patient's weight. The output is probability of death." Why.... i have even heard my neighbor using it while explaining the concept of electricity to his 6 year old -" When you input the plug, output is the light you see there"....yes i clearly see now, that some things do travel faster than the speed of light!

@ sign - This is where the monkey-seers monkey-doers are out in full force. The @ sign is something that goes on a price list or in an e-mail address. It's not a word. But people are now using it as if it were. "COMING SOON @ STORE NEAR YOU", " GET HEALTHY @ YOUR HOSPITAL".

The it-it's-its Itch- People apparently, have forgotten about his and hers. "What do I do with this apostrophe?" - James Joyce's Finnegans mentioned, "the It with an itch in it... ." I guess that many people have never heard of his and hers. I'm sure that if they did, they would never write it's when they mean its.

Bad Vs Badly - It’s incorrect to say you’re feeling badly. Many people think that it sounds smarter to say feeling badly. But, for example, Ron feels badly could mean that Ron doesn’t have a keen sense of touch.

There, their, they're - Mixing up their, there, and they’re is an easy way to make yourself look silly.Their is a possessive pronoun. There refers to location.They’re is a contraction of they are.I am always careful not to confuse theirs with there’s.
.......And whatever I do, I never use their’s at all.

Just when i think i have had enough, my neighbor comes searching for my husband, since he was'nt at home, i enquired. He replied-"nah I am shifting , so needed help with uploading and downloading the furnitures and stuff ."...THERE you go again...

8 Comments:

Blogger Voice said...

hi curious
still to read ur post. just curious abt you.

1:46 PM  
Blogger curious said...

Hi Voice,

i am curious to hear u voice ur opinion on my post too!

cheers!

1:57 PM  
Blogger Voice said...

whr is my comment :((

10:13 PM  
Blogger Nitu said...

HI Curious, Thanks for visiting my blog and posting wonderful comments. I have added ur link in my blog. I am flying to Myanmar next month and I will take more pictures.

12:08 AM  
Blogger curious said...

u r welcome amarpreet! looking forward to see the snaps.

Voice when its day for u its night for me over here...since i moderate all the comments in the morning...u will find it the next day only..unless until u r logged on there at night!..and yes thanks for ur wonderful comments..i enjoyed reading them!

8:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

amusing post!:))

8:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In fact I'm personally sick of ready 'their' where it should be 'there' and vice versa in several emails on a daily basis. This pair, specially, as become almost a disease, or shall I call it 'fashion'! What's more shocking is the fact that these words are completely different in meaning, and people just don't have that 1 minute it will take them to understand which one means which!
I'm also quite sick of reading '@' every here and there. Off late, people who have any number of the alphabet 'a' in their names have started replacing each 'a' with a '@'. How about I calling myself g@ur@av - how weird! Somehow they think adding a '@' will add a touch of 'smartness' to their personality or something. I don't know.
One more thing that I have seen is the character '$'. I have particularly seen people refering to Micro$oft that way.
And let's not forget the thoroughly misused word of all time, the 'father of them all' if I may call it that - "preponing". Every second day I get an email referring to the "preponing" of some meeting or event...

1:08 PM  
Blogger Lost in trance... said...

"When you input the plug, output is the light you see there"

There. We just solved the energy crisis havent we?

n yeah i'm guilty @ times for the @ use too :)

8:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home